ABC's of Wilderness Medicine
The goals of "
ABC's" of wilderness medicine is to Resuscitate, Stabilize and provide Supportive
care until definitive care is available
"rule of 3"
- 3 min to live without air, 3 hrs to live in hostile environment (snow or sand storm, freezing rain), 3 days to live without water, 3 wks to live w/o food.
- Attitude - strong and positive attitude
- Avoid panic
- Assess the scene - it doesn't help the patient if rescuer gets hurt
- Airway - while securing the airway, avoid C-spine injury
- Breathing - "rescue breathing" as needed (see BLS).
- Circulation - control of hemorrhage if present, CPR as needed
- Disability - determine if patient is AAO, verbal response, pain response
- Extremity evaluation and neurovascular assessment
- Environmental isolation - i.e. isolate from cold/fire, etc.
- Rescue signals
- H2OFood - obtain first water then food